Mauritius is a coveted destination for its quality of life, economic dynamism and social stability, which make it a great place to live, invest and work. You can set up a business in the country within three working days, with good governance and stable institutions to enable you to do business in the best possible conditions. Here’s how!
Mauritius at world level
- Index of African Governance – Mo Ibrahim | 1st in Africa (2018)
- Economic Freedom of the World Index – Fraser Institute | 7th in the world (2018)
- Democracy Index (The Economist) | 18th in the world and 1st in Africa (2019)
- World Bank Doing Business 2020 | 13th worldwide
- Global Peace Index 2020 | 23rd in the world
- Best Countries for Business – Forbes | 39th in the world and 1st in Africa (2019)
- Social Progress Index 2020 | 44th in the world and 1st in Africa
Why invest in Mauritius?
Key steps to incorporate a company and register business activities
The company structure
The legal structure of a company varies according to different criteria. It is therefore important to understand what the different structures available in Mauritius are and choose the most suitable one.
Choosing a company name
You may check for the availability of a trade name online. And it’s free of charge!
Business incorporation and registration
It takes as little as 2 hours for the incorporation and registration of a company’s business activities with the Corporate and Business Registration Department (CBRD). There is no minimum capital requirement and a registration fee applies! After filing your application with the Companies Register, you will receive a Business Registration Number (BRN) and a Certificate of Incorporation.
Starting business activity
Businesses engaged in unregulated activities may start operations right after registration with the CBRD. A licence from the relevant authorities is required to engage in regulated business activities.
Opening a bank account
A company can open a bank account right after registration with the CBRD. A list of commercial and investment banks registered with the Bank of Mauritius is available online.